Friday, December 03, 2004

Get it right already

BlogSpot has apparently been having some problems lately. Earlier this week I had the dickens of a time trying to post comments on various blogs, and ended up giving up on most of the attempts. For the last two days I've been trying to Enable my Profile, to no avail. I wasn't going to make much of it, just show my real name and specify my gender (both already apparent), but it doesn't take when I click the Save My Profile button. Do these people think I have no life? I may check my blog ten times a day, but do I have the time to mess with the behind-the-scenes nonsense? As if!

I do love hearing non-stop Christmas music all day long. I love the Christmas carols and the jolly holiday spirit dispensed. But I wish some of the recordings wouldn't try so hard to push the envelope of creativity. I suppose they're trying to give a unique twist to a song that's been released in at least thirty other Christmas albums already - give it some deformity so it will be personalised with a mark of ownership. But honestly, the reason the song is such a classic must be that it was written right the first time! Therefore it is not necessary to scatter rests, holds, and (most annoying of all) innumerable superfluous flourishes and warbles wantonly throughout the music. Any artist who tries to cram more than three notes into the one-syllable 'of' from 'O Little Town of Bethlehem' is overusing his poetic license, in my opinion.

So...do you approve or disapprove of going up a whole step on 'This' in 'What Child is This?' as opposed to the traditional half-step?

No comments: