Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Soaps, silks, and bon-bons

Well, that's not exactly the tenor of my days now. (And thanks to reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves, I now know that the comma after silks is known as the Oxford comma - believed to be unnecessary by some, but extremely elegant in my opinion.) But since Jane's 11:00 feeding just happens to coincide with the 11:00 re-runs of Frasier, and since I'm sitting in the rocking chair anyway facing the TV, I've taken to watching the show. It's quite clever, really. I've collected some delightful lines in the last week or so, such as the following exchange:

'Did you know that [blah, blah, blah]?'
'I do now, it seems.'

Last week we were happily settled in when Jane's hand crept stealthily up my side. My first inkling was a faint tickling sensation, which felt exactly like a huge, hairy spider had crawled up under my shirt and was making for my neck. Naturally I sprang up in alarm and almost dropped the poor child before realising my mistake. Oops. Where would such a huge, hairy spider have come from anyway, I asked myself in retrospect. Oh, well. Somehow in such cases instinct always gets the better of reason.

One trend I have noticed, though, from watching daytime TV, and which annoys me excessively, is the assumption that all people who watch daytime TV are complete idiots. This must stem from the belief that anyone who sits around with nothing better to do at 11:00 in the morning must inherently be a loser. The two ads that I see the most recurrently are: 1) a law firm insisting that if you are an accident victim, you must call them in order to get the settlement you deserve; and 2) various colleges promising you an exciting new career in whatever field your heart desires with less than a year or so of classes, and bright-eyed guarantees of job prospects mobbing you as soon as you graduate. D people really fall for this nonsense? Alas, yes, which is why the commercials keep running and targeting their underachiever audience.

3 comments:

Amy K said...

Your comments on daytime TV made me laugh becuase I've thought the same exact thing the few incidences in my life when I've been home during the day and have turned on the tube! Kinda depressing!! It's probably a good thing that everything on during the day is lame, or else it would be harder to resist.

the Joneses said...

I tend to think of that second comma as a "Beka comma," since Beka grammar curriculum was so insistent upon using it.

--DJ

Rose said...

And just after disparaging the lame-ness of daytime TV, the self-avowed non-idiot goes off and spells 'Do' without the 'o.' I'd fix the post, except I'm afraid of losing the comments.