Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A merry heart

I've read in many places of the documented health benefits of laughter, even forced and unspontaneous, and for a time (usually concurrent with my other Being Good kicks of exercising and flossing) I practised the discipline of daily laughter. It is surprisingly hard to laugh voluntarily: you pretty much have to be in private to feel uninhibited enough, and even then you usually end up feeling a bit silly at first. I used to try for at least two minutes of laughter on my drive to work every morning.

But now I've found the perfect outlet for this very healthy and desirable pursuit: make a baby laugh. Laughter is so contagious that you feel right at home, and the silliness of breaking out into sudden, maniacal laughter isn't nearly so potent when you're already doing silly stuff like making funny faces and using funny voices around said baby anyway.

No comments: