She must be growing by leaps and bounds, but it seems to be happening so gradually that I hardly notice the change, expect in retrospect. I think I'm at grave risk of underestimating her at this stage and letting something of her tremendous potential fall through the cracks, because she continues to amaze me with what she comprehends and grasps. I keep discovering by accident things she can do, and then reminding myself that I should be on a rampage to equip her to be independent.
I've been talking aloud to her for months now, of course, but only recently did I happen to voice an instruction, probably without any idea of her actually understanding me. She is, however, capable of understanding much more than she can say, and can follow pretty much any simple instruction by now. New instructions she picks up quickly by my speaking slowly and clearly, using at least a word or two she knows, pointing to the steps involved, and modeling the action for her. She has been picking up her toys for the past couple of weeks now, she puts away the Tupperware when she's done playing in the drawer, and she puts whatever I tell her to in the trash. (The drawback of this newfound talent is that she puts pretty much anything in the trash, so we have to keep a sharp lookout for abandoned sippy cups, shoes, and the like.)
A few days ago she went into a little coughing fit. 'Are you okay?' I asked absently, patting her gently on the back. Later that day she coughed, and then came over, patting her shoulder (which was as far back as she could reach) and saying 'Kay? Kay?' Now every time she coughs, if I do not inquire after her health quickly enough, she prompts me. Sometimes she even fakes coughs to elicit a pat on the back.
It's an exciting time. I'm glad to see her independence and confidence growing daily, and I look forward to the time (very soon, I hope) when we can begin to have intelligent conversations together. Or at least a greater degree of comprehension than we now enjoy.
Monday, November 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment