Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I swear, if I say it once...

Sunday was a very long day. The girls weren't thrilled to be strapped into their carseats yet again, and took turns hijacking each other's attempted naps (Jane actually didn't fall asleep at all that day). Just when we thought we had settled down and could push on through for a good long while at last, there would be a messy diaper or a shortage of gasoline and we would need to stop, which necessitated getting out and moving around for a moment, which made the girls hate starting up again all the more.

At one point I tried to amuse and quiet Jane by singing to her, 'I Love You (A Bushel And A Peck).' When I was done with the song, instead of falling lovingly off to sleep with a smile on her face, my little angel chirped, 'Heck!'

'No, no! Peck!' I corrected, hastily.

'Heck!' she repeated enthusiastically.

'Neck! Neck!' I insisted.

'Heck!'

Oh, blast. No, wait, I didn't say that! I didn't even think it!

5 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

Just wait until they get to the stage of trying out different sounds at the front of words. (An essential pre-reading skill!) Right now I'm following the strategy of not listening very closely.

the Joneses said...

On a Disney tape that we had when young, we learned the song "How in the heck will I wash my neck if it ain't gonna rain no more?" I was always annoyed by that; I don't use that word.

On my kids' CD of the same song, the lyrics have been changed to "It ain't gonna thunder, ain't gonna pour, it ain't gonna rain no more." Much better, in my opinion.

--DJ

the Joneses said...

From experience, I'd say that "heck" is a much better word for a child to learn than "never." As in, "I'll NEVER get to watch videos again! I'll NEVER be able to read again! I'll NEVER [fill in the blank]." If I had the choice... heck, yeah!

-- SJ

P.S. I actually do use heck, and so does DJ after living with me for a while. :)

Anonymous said...

lol...I quite agree w/queen of carrots and was thinking the EXACT same thing when I read this post.

Rose said...

Yes, I don't exactly have a problem with the word (witness my willingness to sing it) but I just don't want to encourage its casual use by my children. I plan to employ QOC's very wise trick of not hearing too clearly. When I was very young, and grownups made a big deal out of something, that only increased my fascination with it.