Monday, July 02, 2007

It occurred to me to document just how many books we've read aloud to each other since our marriage. I was going to note that the pace has slowed drastically since the children showed up, but we actually read more books aloud now than ever before. It's just that now they tend to be very short, full of pictures, and titled along the lines of Goodnight Moon.

Books Rose has read aloud to Michael:

Pride and Prejudice
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Scaramouche
The Prisoner of Zenda
Beau Geste
Ella Enchanted
Johnny Tremain
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

The Wind in the Willows

Farmer Boy
Little House in the Big Woods

Books Michael has read aloud to Rose:

The Sword of Shannara
The Elfstones of Shannara
Wizard's First Rule
Magic Kingdom for Sale
The Christian Mind
The Great Divorce
The Case for Christ
The Singer
The Knowledge of the Holy

Hmm, do we detect any sort of a pattern here? I am sure there are other books, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Probably even more telling is the list of books I want to read to Michael. Things like Little Women, the Anne series, A Little Princess, the Grandma's Attic series, and the like all involve books I read often growing up, so they have a lot to do with shaping my opinions and thoughts. But they're also rather girly books, so I'm going to have to put some thought into how to work them in. Not every series has a Farmer Boy.

4 comments:

the Joneses said...

So how did you like "Wizard's First Rule" and "Elfstones?" I'm curious.

--DJ

Rose said...

Eh...Wizard's had some interesting plot ideas, but it was too graphic for my taste. Michael hadn't read it for many years and also found himself disturbed by some of the elements. We didn't bother continuing the series.

The Shannara books just strike me as some cheap Tolkien wanna-be. The plots are overblown and cumbersome, and the writing isn't good enough to sustain the plodding pace. In Elfstones particularly, it irritated me that the flirty girl got the guy in the end. (Michael thinks I am totally missing the point on that book.) =)

the Joneses said...

I agree on "Wizard's."

"Elfstones" used to be my favorite Terry Brooks book, but I agree with your assessment. However, his "Druid of Shannara" is a pretty cool allegory of Christ's first coming, and his "Knight of the Word" series is good (although since it's urban fantasy, you might not like it).

--DJ

Queen of Carrots said...

You should have no trouble working in the girly books--after all, you have girls. Wait another year or so, then produce them as "family read-alouds."

We tried reading aloud to each other in the beginning, but neither of us has enough wind power left at the end of the day to do it. Then we tried reading together silently, but we read at different speeds. Now we read different books and tell each other about them.