I've decided that I have too much stuff, and I'm on a rampage to clear it out. It's always such a horrible dilemma between not wanting to hoard and not wanting to fall afoul of an unexpected famine. But I've determined that I must get rid of stuff, once and for all, and simply bear the consequences of discovering, two months later, that the thing I threw out fits this thing which now I have to throw out and buy a new one of.
This is hitting me hardest in the food department. I've gotten rather attached to my stockpile of food, and my pantry has slowly been outgrowing its space until I've concluded that I'm not going to do any more shopping, except for absolutely unbeatable and irresistible bargains. Still, where would I put said bargains? The pantry shelves are stocked high and bowing under the weight, and the freezer has undergone yet another compacting re-arrangement. I even threw out the popsicles (cheap sugar water; easily replaced) to make room for the latest conquest.
The problem is that I have gotten burned from not having enough on hand. I hate the inconvenience and expense of a last-minute necessity (gas wasted running out to the store; recipe interrupted and probably ruined; item not on sale and definitely cheaper at Aldi), so it provides tremendous peace of mind to survey my well-stocked pantry shelves and note that I'm in no danger of running out.
But I need no such peace of mind in the shampoo department, when I'm not likely to use up the sixteen bottles which accumulated on my watch, or the make-up department, where the various cosmetics will probably expire long before I even finish the one stick of mascara that I actually paid money for.
Never mind if it was free. I'm not going to waste any more money paying sales tax on unnecessary stuff. As for the current situation, if I can use it, I will use it, and if I can't, I will give it away. That was, I think, my original intention anyway, only I seem to have gotten sidetracked in my mission to deliver the goods to the poor. Missionary Care Center, here I come. Meanwhile I've had very creamy hands and feet this week.
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So what do you think prompted this drive of yours to want to stock pile deals? What's the source?
I applaud your desire to only keep what you will actually USE and to give away the rest! Think of how clean and orderly everything will be! New thrills! ;D
No Depression-era privations or poverty-ridden youth at work here - I just love a good bargain! As to the drive to stockpile, I didn't ever set out to collect random stuff - I only discovered how much shampoo I had on hand when I sat down and counted it. =) It crept up gradually, since I tend to snatch up free stuff whenever I can find it, with the dubious intention of giving it away should it not prove useful to me. And I've apparently gotten careless with following through on the giving away promptly part.
As to food, I like to have plenty on hand so I don't run out in the middle of a recipe. A good price on something means I will buy in multiples. Imagine my dismay today when I realised I am down to four bags of chocolate chips!
Interesting. That's so . . .Brownellish. But they have different reasons. Thanks for sharing.
Horrors on those last 4 bags of chocolate chips. ;D I shudder to think!
I thought of you when I found a store coupon for buy one sour cream container and get a package of onion soup mix (great to use in crock pot recipes) free. I thought of you when I saw buy two sour cream containers and get one frozen spinach package free. I passed on the spinach and went for the soup mix.
Post a Comment