Apparently her husband wanted her to wear only skirts, but she resisted as much as she could, wearing skirts when out and about but wearing pants at home because she thought they were so much more comfortable, practical, etc.
One day she was wearing jeans and had to run a quick errand. Rather than bother changing, she decided to run out just this once. While at the dry cleaner, she noticed a man staring at her such that it made her feel uncomfortable. Then he asked her, 'Are those new blue jeans?'
'No,' she answered, feeling embarrassed. 'They're just some old ones I was wearing.'
This strange man then remarked, 'I wish my jeans looked as good after a few wearings and washings!'
This conversation made her feel so uncomfortable that she instantly repented of wearing pants and decided to completely obey her husband in the area of modesty henceforth. Now, at the time I heard this testimony, I accepted it as proof positive that Pants Were Evil, but it has now been many years since I dismissed that little story as mere propaganda. Surely such a conversation must be contrived for the sole purpose of brainwashing gullible young girls into impressionable tastes in clothing. After all, no one could be that lame.
Well. Fast-forward a few years, by which time I have gradually formed some new opinions about clothing, among which the daring notion that knees may not necessarily be immodest, backed up by my husband's approval, of course.
We were looking over some pictures last week, and I was internally whining at how good I looked five months out from Jane v. how I look now seven months out from Ella. The looking good was probably due in part to the pretty little skirt* I was wearing in the picture, not actually too short to wear, but just a tad too close to the line to remain in general circulation. I decided to pull it out of the closet and give it another try.
And then, of course, I had to run out for gas. And this is where history gets ironic.
I was standing at the pump, filling the tank of Michael's truck, because he had just told me it was empty and if I was going out at all could I please take the truck and fill it before the next time he needed to drive it, when the guy standing at the next pump over asked me, 'Is that your truck?'
What a stupid question. With the price of gas what it is, is it likely I'd be filling up anyone else's tank? Of course not. This guy was seriously weird and needed to be repelled with utmost magnitude. I replied, 'No, it's my husband's truck.'
But that didn't stop him. He went into some rigamarole about a friend of his who had the identical truck to mine, but got into an accident with it and was so rattled that he decided to get the same kind of truck as this guy (the one who was telling me all this) because it is so much bigger and safer. During which this guy was pointing out the bigness of his personal truck so that I could admire its largeness and consequent safety.
Yes, well, I'd personally rather take my chances with the road hazards and settle for the better gas mileage, but that's neither here nor there. I don't go about accosting strange people at gas stations and chiding them for their gas consumption and safety choices, either as an environmental/public service crusade OR as a social outlet.
So I came home and told Michael about it, who did not tell me that the skirt was inappropriate for public viewing, but laughed and told me that the guy's attempt at witty conversation was no more clumsy than might be expected. In fact, guys can apparently be incredibly lame when attempting to strike up conversation with an object of passing fancy.
I guess New-Blue-Jean-Dry-Cleaner Weirdo wasn't necessarily a fabrication after all.
*
6 comments:
I just have to say, I LOVE the fact you wear a variety of clothes to please your husband. THAT is as it should be!
geni
PS> you also have nice legs :)
The desirability of joints is a curious issue. DOB's sister has recently started attending a college of Holiness leanings, and was astonished to discover herself acquiring a reputation as a rebel because she unwittingly showed up for registration in short sleeves and sandals. (She was even wearing a long skirt!)
My issue with knees is that mine bear far too many battle scars. Plus, it takes a lady of some gracefulness to sit properly in a shorter skirt (or loose shorts.) And I am not. But that *is* a very cute skirt, and you look lovely in it.
The skirt (and you!) are indeed cute. However, those shoes...
The skirt is cute, even if it does reveal -- shockingly enough -- the fact that you have knees.
I never disbelieved the fact that the lady encountered the guy in the dry cleaner's. In later years, however, I've been very doubtful that it proved her point that Pants Are Evil. It more proves that Some Men Are Creepy.
Why assume it was your cute skirt that got all that attention? It could have been the truck.
-- SJ
Funny! I remember that story having an impression on me at the time too. Propaganda, yes.
Agreed on the Some Men Are Creepy comment, SJ. I've seen guys hitting on (beyond just conversing with) women who were 30+ years older or younger than themselves.
I saw a quite hilarious happening earlier this summer at a gas station (something about gas stations?) where a guy relentlessly tried, without success, to talk with a lady in an almost-full burqua.
Dunno if it was the sight of her fingernails that enticed him, or he wanted to talk with the lady for other reasons, but I think he only got a few nods and shakes of her head before she left.
Post a Comment