Monday, June 22, 2009

Sunlight and shadows

The lack of posting recently hasn't been due to the hectic schedule that comes with a newborn (as babies go, this one is the easiest yet), but due more to heavy-heartedness and lack of motivation to spout cheery little updates. In the midst of our rejoicing over the arrival of Katy came the news that Michael's boss had died in a car crash, leaving behind a wife and child. This was devastating on a personal front, of course, as I couldn't help identifying with his widow and thinking how easily any of our lives could be changed in a heartbeat. Also it's been pretty hard on Michael and his whole team at work, who were very close to Sean and had been really inspired and motivated by his leadership. He had only been there a few months, but had already been promoted from the director of IT to the Executive level and had revolutionised the work environment.

The wake and the memorial service were incredibly challenging and yet very inspiring. One close friend of Sean's referred to the 'tragic car crash,' and added that he refused to call it an accident, since all our days are ordained by God and that somehow, though we don't see why, God planned for this to happen. It's easy to agree with this on an intellectual level, but still hard to accept in real life. Sean had only been a Christian for eight years, but accomplished so much for God in that short time. One thing I was very impressed with during the testimonial time was how very intentional he was in every aspect of life. I tend to drift, and I felt very convicted that I should be pursuing excellence in my relationships.

We are moving through the grief process and getting to that point where we acknowledge that it's okay to laugh again. Michael is still picking up the pieces at work. There's a lot to mull over, but I'm definitely left with a sobering reminder of the fragility of our lives. And impressed with a renewed gratitude that, so far, God has spared us from any heavy burdens.

1 comment:

Amy K said...

I'm really sorry to hear about this. Life is so brief and fragile, but it's especially tragic when someone like this has his life cut short.