Monday, November 30, 2009

Coffee, three ways

The sonnet:

To see one cup of coffee left behind;
To put it to good use, lest it grow bitter:
To look for caramel, and not to find;
To sniff, and sip, and drink, and then to jitter.

The Facebook:

Rose Focht is glad that her guests like coffee, because now the house smells nice.
Rose Focht is annoyed to discover that there is one cup of coffee left in the coffee maker. Can't clean the counter now.
Rose Focht is hunting for some good caramel macchiato recipes, or maybe mocha. Anyone?
Rose Focht is desperate to find a home for the coffee, other than throwing it down the drain.
Rose Focht has lots of pumpkin left over from Thanksgiving. We'll give this recipe a try.
Rose Focht now has lots of excess energy to expend in trite updates. Hello world!

The old-fashioned blog post:

Apparently there is a pumpkin shortage out there, which is only a problem for people who rely on canned pumpkin. Those hardy enough to grow their own pumpkins, or fortunate enough to have friends and family who share pumpkins, can have all the pumpkin puree they need by merely slicing up dozens of pumpkins, steaming the chunks, peeling the cooked pumpkin, pureeing the interiors, and finding room in the freezer to store it all, meanwhile having carefully salvaged the seeds for roasting. (It's not really that difficult, and I find it surprising that more people don't cook up their own pumpkins. Why does a simple case of do-it-yourself, which gives off even the slightest vibe of complexity or cleverness or resourcefulness, always merit some kind of Martha Stewart comparison? Not that I ever thought she was such a much, but at least I always admired her work ethic, entrepreneurial skills, and the notion of bringing beauty to homemaking. I even felt sorry for her over that prison flap, and tried to give her the benefit of the doubt in defiance of her detractors who labeled her a pretentious overpriced control freak. But her arrogant and uncalled-for [she was at a charity event for autism, for crying out loud] dismissal of Sarah Palin as 'boring and dangerous' [how does one simultaneously achieve both adjectives, pray tell?] goes beyond the pale, and I now officially dislike Martha Stewart.)

Anyway, it turns out the pumpkin puree has more applications than mere pumpkin pie, which I dislike; I've been working it off in pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin muffins, and pumpkin rolls, where it vastly improves the texture without even affecting the taste. Latest of these discoveries is this recipe for coffee, which - but I hear children stirring, and must dash.

No comments: