Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Solstice

Today is the first official day of summer, though it's been hot enough this fortnight. At least frequent thunderstorms have removed the necessity of watering the garden. We've gotten two pickings of green beans, two salads' worth of chard, and about six tomatoes so far. Very heartening. Too bad we're going to leave it all to the birds and the drought when we leave town next month (leaving the house sufficiently staffed with ferocious guard dogs, of course).

This week I hope to take the tots on a blueberry-picking expedition. I think Jane and Ella might be old enough to contribute to the general bucket, and if we leave early enough it might not be too hot. Meanwhile we lie about indoors under ceiling fans, trying to move as few muscles as possible and coming up with recipes for cold soup. And then Michael, who is not nearly such a martyr to frugality, comes home and rescues us by turning up the A/C. I do not relish the thought of three more months of this.

2 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

I was washing dishes this evening and thinking about how different my summers are now that I'm back in California. Instead of the heat, humidity, and bugs, here's summer in my world (or at least June): my hands smell like strawberries, my hair is damp from the fog I walked through, my pants (and the dogs) have the scent of lavender I brushed up against in the back yard, and the copious amount of vegetables in the fridge is remarkable only in that there is more of it than usual. Salad for dinner isn't as much a normal menu item than a "we must eat this NOW because more's comin' tomorrow." Ah, the joy of multiple growing seasons.

Janice Phillips said...

Oh, and did I mention I wore a sweatshirt for this entire day because the sun only burned through the clouds for about 3 hrs today? I love natural A/C.