Thursday, April 07, 2005

Further thoughts on Holland

And yet, for all that, there are some things that the Dutch (possibly Europeans in general) do better (or, shall we say, we could take a page from them):

-European hospitality. You can’t enter someone’s house without being offered coffee or tea. You always linger around the table after dinner sipping drinks, laughing, and talking. Sure, I know we drink coffee here, and when you go over to someone’s house for dinner you usually get offered water or juice or coke or something, but for the most part people don’t keep their tea sets and coffee creamers always at the ready here. It’s a social ritual over there. And it’s GOOD stuff!

-European diet. The bread you buy in the bakery is generally far better quality than your typical sandwich bread here. Even the cheapest run-of-the-mill sandwich bread there is hearty and nutritious. Breakfast often consists of yogurt, bread and cheese, bread and meat, jam, and of course the classic chocolate sprinkle sandwiches! Overall, the foods seem far less processed, possibly one reason why Europeans manage to look so thin compared to their American counterparts (either that or the fact that everyone smokes like crazy over there).

-European roundabouts! I fell in love with these in England and still adore the notion of not having to come to a dead stop when it’s perfectly obvious that no one’s coming from all directions. Plus if you’re scrambling to decipher a map (NOT lost, just momentarily confused of bearings) it’s so convenient to be able to circle without having to make a snap decision and end up heading off to the wrong corner of the country.

I must say, the Euro was a big disappointment. We took a trip into Germany one day since the border was so nearby. Wandering around the fairy-talish city of Bremen, I was delighted to see a coin glittering at me from the ground, and went through the great effort of bending over and picking it up (no mean feat at my current girth), delighted with the prospect of adding a German coin to my collection, only to realize that, of course, it was just a common 1-cent Euro piece, like I had tons of already. Blah.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

I loved roundabouts when I lived in England. When I moved to Portland, I had one right outside my house. Let's say watching Americans try to navigate roundabouts is sheer entertainment. Once, I watched someone go the wrong way around it. Olympia has decided to put in a lot of roundabouts and occasionally we'll deal with someone who has no idea what to do.
Oh and the food.... I have never eaten more butter, cream, or cheese than when I was in England. Only to lose about 10 lbs in 3 months. I think the lifestyle has a lot to do with it. Europeans walk a lot, they have more periods of rest, and they sleep more than Americans. All of which makes for better health.

Rose said...

Yes! They walk and bicycle everywhere! (Of course, as Michael remarked, they can afford to do this because everything is so close together.) One person told us that it's quite common for people to bike a 20K commute to work each day!

Anonymous said...

Our new home town (as of May 1) has two round abouts in it, so if you are missing them, please come visit. :)

the Joneses said...

For someone who has to do all her overseas traveling vicariously, I'm fortunate to have the type of friends who come back with interesting reports, not dull tourist drivel. I've enjoyed your trip. :) Glad it wasn't too hard on you and Baby.

-- SJ