Thursday, April 21, 2005

Storks and storms

Overheard on last night’s walk:

Me: So do you think it would be a worthwhile investment to spend, say, $5 on a plastic stork for our yard in the hopes of eliciting free cookies and maybe other food from the neighbours?
Michael (horrified): What a mercenary idea! Where do you come up with these things?
Me: Okay, okay, I was just kidding! We don’t have to do it.
Michael: It’s pretty scary the way your mind works sometimes. I mean, you would think they would have to send people away to training camps to indoctrinate them to think like that.

So last night we were watching a show when this background tune came on. The only line I caught was, ‘“Come in,” she said; “I’ll give you shelter from the storm.”’ It was very catchy, and I liked it so much that I looked up the lyrics online afterwards, only to discover that it was a Bob Marley song! Now, I don’t know anything about Bob Marley except that I am supposed to hate his music; I’ve heard so many bad things about his voice and style that I’m totally prejudiced against him, and here the only song of his that I’ve actually heard I find that I like very much indeed! This is a pretty kettle of fish.

1 comment:

the Joneses said...

Actually, I think that the really horrible thing about your idea is the plastic stork. Balloons tied to the mailbox, on the other hand, are an excellent way to make this announcement. And don't pass up any free food!

--DJ