Thursday, October 27, 2005

Snapshots of thought

- This Sunday marks the return to Standard Time. Hurrah for sleeping in an extra hour! But alas, it's going to be powerful dark by suppertime.

- I'm staggered by the news of Harriet Miers' withdrawal. Can't decide whether it's a good thing or not. Probably easiest to step down gracefully now than to try to stick it out and be battered to pieces in the process and probably not win anyway, but it's got to be a setback for President Bush.

- I'm reading aloud Ella Enchanted to Michael. It's a delightful fairy tale that I enjoyed reading to my little brothers the summer before I left home, but I still can't figure out how to pronounce Ogrese. It's definitely not as linguistically complex a language as any of Tolkien's works, but it's still original how it uses random capital letters and punctuations to denote a completely foreign tongue.

- Michael's reading aloud War on the Eastern Front to me, chronicling the ill-fated Russian campaign by Germany in 1941-44. It feels very much like reading War and Peace, and I'm struck over and over again with the vast expanses of land and grand sweeps of destiny. Last night we read about how the Red Army would round up civilians from local villages and march them across minefields planted by Germans to clear a path for the army to advance. There were millions of peasants to spare, and the Soviets had absolutely no respect for human life.

- Suddenly this week we are using the heat instead of the A/C. That transition happened quickly. This is the third winter we've lived in this house and we have yet to light a fire in the fireplace.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I'm grateful Miers withdrew. She was not qualified and she did not have any evidence of a strong conservative constructionist worldview. Her writing was sub-par, which is completely unacceptable for a SC Justice, for whom the primary tool is the written word. I also hope that this will send a strong message to Pres. Bush that he has to appoint the best person to the job, and not find a "yes-man" (or "yes-woman" as the case may be) for every position. It taints conservatism to play "politics" the way Bush does with appointments. Wow! I'm opinionated today. -rlr

Rose said...

Thanks for the perspective. I'd been trying to ignore much of the frenzy surrounding the nomination since it didn't matter until the confirmation hearings actually began, and all I had to go by was that the liberals were attacking her, which is usually a good sign. If she really wasn't that much of a threat, then they were probably just raising the outcry from habit.

We'll see how things go. Hopefully President Bush will be a wiser man next time around.