Finally, things settle down. It's been a lovely week-and-then-some, but we hobbits can't always live on the heights, bless my buttons. Last week we had Oma visiting for a few days, and that was very nice: she admired her great-granddaughter extensively (but of course! Doesn't everybody?), took us all out to dinner, and bought Jane a next-size-up carseat for Christmas. Not terribly sentimental or heartwarming, perhaps, but intensely practical, and besides Jane will never know the difference.
Then came Thanksgiving Day itself, our first time hosting it and cooking a turkey of our own. Michael actually stuffed the stuffing into the bird himself! We had Todd and Marcela over, and I made real honest-to-goodness eggnog, complete with real rum, from a tiny bottle that I had been saving from some plane flight long ago when I got a complimentary drink.
On Saturday we hosted an After-Thanksgiving party, to eat up leftovers, make fudge, and play games. It was terribly fun, and somewhat reminiscent of those Game Nights at the Halls from long ago. Ah, me. I don't play Blurt nearly often enough these days.
The four-day weekend was absolutely lovely, but it spoiled us for real life, and now it's back to getting up early in the mornings again and cooking real meals instead of just grazing on leftovers. Oh, well. Less than a month until Christmas, and we're now playing Christmas music!
Monday, November 28, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So how does eggnog with rum taste? I love the non-alcoholic stuff that we get from the store; I'm not sure I'd want to ruin it :)
--DJ
It was fine, but I couldn't really tell that much of a difference. (It was a very tiny bottle of rum I used, so maybe there really wasn't that much of a difference.) Next time I'll just make plain eggnog - I don't think the rum added enough jazz to make it worthwhile to go out and buy any. Oh, well, it was a fun thought!
Ooo! Was it as tasty as the virgin mint juleps we served at your bridal shower? If I ever come visit you, I think we should make real ones. He he!
Tee hee! The first time I heard that word used in that adjective context was on our honeymoon cruise, when I was offered a choice of pina coladas. Very ironic use of the word considering the circumstances. =)
Mmm, those were good, weren't they? Dahling, you are welcome anytime!
Post a Comment