Thursday, November 10, 2005

Let's talk turkey

One Thanksgiving long ago, when my father was unemployed and money was tight, my mother prayed for a turkey. Our family required a big bird, and she didn't think the food budget could stand the prevailing prices. And through a series of miraculous events, God provided not one, but three, turkeys!

While our situation is not nearly so drastic, I've been fretting lately while facing the prospect of buying a whole turkey. We won't be traveling to VA this fall, and it's my first Thanksgiving on my own - ergo, the first time that the responsibility of providing a bird falls on me. And while I suppose I could just run out to the store and pay fair market value, I've been half-heartedly praying - not with much fervour, I confess, because our situation doesn't seem nearly dire enough to merit an answer - for a good bargain on a turkey.

Well, this morning I got an adventure and a ticket to my turkey all in one! We received a flyer from a local car dealership offering a free turkey if you test drive a car during their weekend event. I called for details and ascertained that there was no purchase necessary. So off I went to the Suzuki dealership and got to test-drive a 2006 Grand Vitara! I told them up front that we weren't in the market for a car right now, and while we might be interested in a minivan in a year or two, I was just there for the turkey. The salesman was very nice about it, affably showed off all the features with no pressure to buy, and gave me a certificate for a turkey at the end of it.

It was a fun experience, because I didn't feel the pressure of a hard-sell that usually comes with such freebies, and I was able to relax and enjoy the drive and, meanwhile, learn a whole lot of stuff about modern cars. For one thing, most cars now - the ones that aren't absolutely indestructible, like Volvo - are built to crash a certain way, so that in an accident the frame crumples up around the cabin, the transmission and the engine drop away beneath the car, the air bags deploy and force shrapnel outward, and the passengers are generally unharmed. Also, the vehicle had a smart key, which needed merely to be in the vicinity to unlock the doors and - get this! - start the engine! I placed the remote on the console and turned the ignition, and the car started just like that!

It was a very cool car, and I had a lot of fun with the bells and whistles, but most of all I'm thrilled about the certificate for the turkey. God works in mysterious ways!

No comments: