Yesterday I woke up with a scratchy throat, and today it has degenerated into misery and wretchedness. Jane, who ran a slight fever last week, probably fought it off herself and wonders why I bothered succumbing to something so obviously nasty and draggy. Ugh. I hate being sick.
Meanwhile I'm trying to console myself with a stack of books. I checked out Ivanhoe last week, and I mean to read through it, which will be only the second time for me. It's definitely from the romantic genre, and already I'm remembering how over the top it is ('[Lady Rowena's] complexion was exquisitely fair, but the noble cast of her head and features prevented the insipidity which sometimes attaches to fair beauties.' Oh, whew, you had me worried there for a moment. Beautiful, rich, good, noble, but not insipid. Because that would just be too cruel of Fate.)
Also I'm still sputtering over a series of book reviews I read last week, which have C. S. Lewis pigeon-holed as not Christian (because Mere Christianity is far too logical and intellectual to be a heart-felt apologetic of Christian zeal), Grandma's Attic labeled as not wholesome or edifying (because Mabel's parents often decide that the consequences of her actions are punishment enough for her sins, thus letting her off the hook and teaching bad moral behaviour to children), and Narnia described as occult. This irritated me so much that I went off and composed several mental diatribes about it, but decided not to post any of it after all. We all know what good writing is, and classic literature doesn't need us to defend it. Let the facts speak for themselves.
Splutter. Sniffle. But it's still a lovely day.
Monday, December 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ha ha, I remember sneaking in the church library and reading every single Grandma's attic book just to see what was so "bad" about them. Seemed pretty harmless to me, if not a bit fluffy, but hey, who ever said we couldn't enjoy a little harmless fluff? I mean, it's not like they were the moral fiber of my education nor are they listed on my Top Ten list of books to read to my kids...nah, I'll let them sneak into the library to read them. Better yet, we'll sneak together. Ha ha ha!
P.S. Sorry you're sick. By way of a horrible experience I won't go into here, the last time I was sick with a cold, I got salt water all up my nose and down my throat and gagged some into my lungs by mistake. And yet, it helped me feel better right away. Then again, you could just go buy some Airborne for $5 and dose yourself 3x a day until you're better. Less messy, too. :-)
Post a Comment