A few of my fashion backtracks, to wit:
-When they first came out, I decried 3/4-length sleeves as looking unfinished and silly, causing the wearer to look like a gawky adolescent who had outgrown her clothes. But I finally tried some, and decided I like the look, and now I have several such sweaters of my own.
-When they came around again (because apparently they lived another life as pedal-pushers in the time of Jackie O.) I thought the same thing about capris. If you can't afford to buy pants that go all the way down to the floor, then just stick with a short skirt!! But I finally started wearing them, and found them nice, light, comfortable summer wear, and of immeasurable value to tall people who want to be vague about hemlines.
-When they first made an appearance, I poked fun at chunky square-toed shoes, because they looked so trendy and apt to disappear in a season or two. But they didn't, and I gave them a cautious try, and decided that they were very comfortable and far more sensible than the pointy-toed formal shoe look, which required only a jingle bell and a matching jester hat to complete the look.
So now I'm thinking that: 1) gauchos are just a throwback to culottes, which were hideous enough in denim and corduroy but are pretty bad in this modern knit, clingy and snug in the wrong way; 2) skirts should be skirts; shorts should be shorts; any unhappy compromise is bound to please neither; 3) but they look so silly!
Never say never is, however, my new motto, so I can't say I'll never wear them.
Monday, June 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have to disagree: culottes will never be cute or trendy or appropriate nor will I EVER wear them. Ever. Nor should you. Just say no, MRF, just say no.
The new "gauchos" don't look too hideous, actually. The first pair I saw was on my twelve-year-old neice, and they suited her fine. They're a different breed from those cullottes haunting our pasts.
As for skirt/short combinations, though, I to-date have not worn a skort, so gauchos are low on my list also. Of course, my objection to skorts is that they look like a very short skirt, and you have to stare to make sure they're not, which -- call it a blue-and-white residue -- doesn't seem to promote modesty.
I howled about capris also, and remember the princess-waist and empire-waist dress fashions of several years ago? Scorned them, until I discovered how flattering princess-waists were. Now that I have more of a stomach to deal with, I'm back to scorning them.
-- SJ
Another thing I like about square toed shoes vs the pointy type. They make feet look normal or even small. Whenever I try on a pointy toe shoe two things are certain: I look no taller and my feet go from size 8 to size 20. No thank you!
I used to make fun of my mom's highschool pictures from the 70s in which she was clad in bell-bottom jeans. Needless to say, I was romping around in equally ridiculous "flare" jeans about 4 years ago. Mom also had a pair of comfortable wooden-soled wedges/clogs that I once thought were hideous. . . I'd give about anything to have those shoes for myself now. Figures. :)
Post a Comment