Monday, August 28, 2006

Maternal musings

- I just started wearing maternity clothes this week. I can still squeeze into most of my normal clothes, but I've decided that I'd rather look pregnant-and-hardly-showing than normal-and-rather-pudgy. Maternity tops have a way of subtly yet unmistakably announcing the baby's existence.

- After Jane was born, I was shocked and dismayed at the residual belly I was left with. I hadn't expected to lose all the weight immediately, of course, but I wasn't prepared for the immensity of the bulge. At the time I joked that I had reverted to three months pregnant. This weekend, however, we were looking over pictures of the first day or two, and I definitely looked far bulgier then than I am even now. So maybe post-partum actually leaves you looking four or five months pregnant.

- I'm glad Baby waited to launch onto its immense growth spurt until after the play was over. It would have been embarrassing to keep asking the costume people to take out the waist after every performance.

2 comments:

Just Me said...

Congratulations on your new little one! I totally agree on the whole wearing of maternity clothes. Being also due in February, I recently accepted the same idea - I'd rather be comfortable and look pregnant than to be uncomfortable and look chubby. :-) I also must applaud your amazing tenacity in performing through the exhaustion of the first trimester! :-))

Queen of Carrots said...

Yes, I would say post-partum only takes you back to about five or six months. But since a lot of those clothes had to be abandoned by the end of the third trimester, it shouldn't be too traumatic.