Here is my book review of a book that I am currently all gaga over. Because this is not a serious blog, I am giving my off-the-cuff, top of the head, completely partial impression of a book I haven't even finished yet. But the parts I've read are so good that I know I'll like the rest of it. I'm already inspired to gather up all my knives and take them off to Kroger for a free sharpening (did you know that most grocery stores' meat departments offer free knife sharpening??)
Well, I started off by reading aloud a quote to Michael on the way home from church, and now he's reading the book to me. We are both thoroughly engrossed by it, the cheapskate bit being the part I like, and the gourmet bit being the part he likes.
I felt particularly moved by the author's account of how she used to dismiss exact measuring by reasoning that 1 cup plus 2 Tbls. flour just meant use a little more than a cup, and how her repeated cooking flops convinced her that following directions precisely was critical. Now, I haven't got a long history of cooking flops, exactly, but I still appreciate the detailed explanations of what can go wrong when the directions are not followed precisely.
Inspired by the call to excellence, I leaped up in the middle of a lemon muffin recipe and dashed to the kitchen to try it out. I even scrupulously followed the part about 1 cup plus 2 Tbls. sugar, going so far as to get the Tbls. measure out to get the job done properly. All was going well until I got to where it said that the 2 Tbls. sugar were for the topping.
Oops. I should also be as enthralled by the instructions to read all recipes thoroughly to the end before beginning.
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
LOL! That's what happens to me. Recipes and I do not get along particularly well because I always manage to misread something.
Post a Comment