We're listening to the soundtrack from The Parent Trap, and it just occurred to me that the lines 'And the love that I've found Since you have been around' sound exactly like the the lines 'A smile, a smile, to make this life worthwhile' from the Smile Song. Coincidence? Cheap rip-off? One wonders. We listen to music nearly every day, and - since I don't mind hearing good music again and again - pretty much all day, alternating between classical pieces for the improvement of Jane's IQ and fun CDs for the advancement of her well-roundedness. (Michael insists that the song Bad to the Bone comes from Terminator, when anyone can see it's from The Parent Trap! I heard it on the movie - during the poker game scene - and it's on my Parent Trap CD!)
In bits and snatches I'm working on writing in Jane's baby book. Poring over my baby book was a favourite pastime of mine as a child, and I'm grateful to my mother for taking the time and effort to record so much of my early life. I wonder whether my early memories really are as strong as I think they are or if their original fuzziness was enhanced and bolstered by my access to all those pictures and stories. Anyway it was a great source of fond memories and fun times, and I want Jane to be able to page back through these early days, looking at pictures, seeing what Michael and I were doing and thinking about her, touching locks of her hair, and learning about herself. (Okay, maybe I won't go so far as to save her toothbrushes. Scrapbooking should go only so far.)
Some things I do not miss about pregnancy:
- Having to shift three pillows every time I want to roll over in the middle of the night. Now I can actually roll over in my sleep again.
- Spilling water all down my shirt. I never used to be a messy eater, so my theory is that with all those excess square inches in front, my odds of spilling things on me went way up. Now if I spill water, it actually hits the floor.
Some things I expect I will miss about pregnancy:
- The phenomenal fingernail and hair growth.
- Getting escorted to the front of the line at airports. (Okay, so this only happened once.)
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sorry, I can corroborate Michael's claim: Bad to the Bone pre-dated the second Parent Trap movie. I know this because my brother's high school class voted it as their class song for graduation. The administration vetoed it and the GCHS Class of '89 had to settle for "Stand By Me" instead.
-- SJ
P.S. -- Probably the similarity between On Top of the World and the Smile Song is merely because the Smile Song uses wholesome, melodious music, and the world occasionally uses melodious music because it's so singable. I didn't make up that argument, by the way.
-- SJ
How on earth did you get the airport thing to work? I had heard I might get special treatment. Instead in two separate round-trip experiences, I was treated horribly. I ended up in the last row of the airplane on a red-eye (where your seat doesn't go back) and on another where I was supposed to be on a lifting-ban because of complications, I couldn't get a single soul to take pity on me and help with my luggage. Next time, I need to know what to do differently. --rlr
Hmmm...I can't think why they took pity on me, except that it was an overnight international flight, so I was jetlagged and tired and probably looked very pathetic. And it was at Charles De Gaulle airport, of all places! Can you believe it was the French who showed me more courtesy than my own countrymen??
Post a Comment