It's the small things in life that really add up to more than the sum of their parts and make the world go 'round. Yesterday was just such a day. Jane was happy, I was happy, the First Day of Spring was rainy so I got to wear my beloved winter sweaters for at least one day longer, and we snapped up tremendous bargains while out and about.
In the first place, I've been looking for invitations for a shower I'm co-hosting soon. Something simple, elegant, classy, and not too expensive, while not looking as if it's trying not to be too expensive. Last week I saw a package of simple white embossed blank cards that I can print off my own invites on, and decided to get them, but also decided to wait a week first. Yesterday I went back and found a box of those very invites, opened but with all the cards and envelopes, marked down to $2.48. Yippee! I felt as if I had just saved ten dollars, but since we are now officially on a budget the extra money was not spendable but goes toward next month's gift allowance.
I hate budgets. Somehow we've made it thus far in our marriage without anything etched in paper, our general rule of thumb being to spend as little as possible and use the rest for savings, giving to missions, buying new cars after destructive car wrecks, etc. But this book on finances that we've been reading strongly recommends a fixed budget, so last week we itemised all expenses and actually drew up a budget. Ugh. Whether we'll actually stick to it is another matter.
The morning of errand-running was topped off in fine style by a free cup of premium roast coffee from McDonalds. I had found a coupon in the Sunday paper (which we do not pay for but which persists in showing up in our front yard every week, so I gamely flip through it and clip coupons for anything free), and having spotted a McDonalds while out and about, whizzed through the drive-thru and collected my token. Then it was such fun walking through Target, holding a cute baby in one hand and a styrofoam cup of coffee in the other. Only a straitened and sheltered youth could eke such feelings of opulence and luxury from a disposable coffee cup.
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I must have had the same kind of youth because that sounds like the perfect morning to me! :-)
Are you going up for the funeral?
Janice,
No, we won't be able to make it. Sending a card and praying for them, though.
Post a Comment