[Editor's note: This post was intended to be published yesterday. By an oversight of the editor it was saved to the draft folder instead of the live blog. So treat all the dates accordingly.]
More thoughts on that eventful evening two years ago last night.
On the way to dessert from dinner we were stopped at an intersection, and there was a whole caravan of cars in front of and behind us, all headed for the same place. Catherine, who was driving a stick shift, revved the engine loudly a few times and then explained to me, 'That will give the people in the car ahead of us something to think about.' She added, 'Ron's driving. He'll like it.' Ah. Unbeknownst to me at the time, Ron liked Catherine, and unbeknownst to Ron, Catherine liked him. I thought it was pretty cute, in retrospect.
While we were driving Catherine turned on the CD player and we listened to Uptown Girl. I had never heard it before and I loved it. It perfectly captured my mood of upbeat euphoria and boundless energy - right after a conference is always the best time to conquer the world. I mentally filed it away in my list of 'Songs to download someday and burn onto a master CD of Great Tunes.'
Last night Michael retrieved some old songs that had been on another partition of his computer for a while, and called me in at one point. 'Here, listen to this.' And proceeded to play Uptown Girl for me! The memories of that hot evening in Atlanta came flooding back to me. And I hadn't ever even told Michael about that song! I thought it was an incredible coincidence. So I told him all about it. 'Do you know when I first heard that song? It was two years ago while I was on my way to winning a game of Mafia...' That set us off in a whole train of memories and reminiscings. Ah, auld lang syne...
Wednesday, August 11, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment