We’re still basking in an aureate post-election glow. It seems that nothing can go wrong. Winter weather is here, the thermostat is set to a toasty temp, and we may have to build a fire in the fireplace soon.
On Saturday we had absolutely nothing planned, and so for the first time in many weeks we had a big breakfast of French toast and bacon and eggs. I mixed up the egg and milk batter and dipped the first slice of bread in before realizing that I wanted to fry the bacon first so I could decide if I wanted to fry the French toast in the drippings. Hastily I got out the skillet and merrily fried the bacon. This would have gone more quickly if the bacon hadn’t been frozen solid (next time I will plan ahead better, quotha). By the time I was ready to fry the French toast, I discovered that the egg and milk mixture had disappeared! I had used four eggs this time, and they were all gone. The piece of bread, meanwhile, looked somewhat waterlogged but nothing out of the ordinary. I whipped up more egg and milk and fried up the French toast.
By the time it was done, the first slice was noticeably bulkier than the others. It looked like it was on steroids and tasted rather like quiche. It was funny and would be a great practical joke to play on someone if all slices served were uniformly swollen: without the wimpy-looking slices for comparison, it looked almost normal.
Our young married class is doing a series entitled Marriage on the Rock, about communication. This Sunday our teacher was talking about different avenues for good communication, including I Feel Lists, The Conference, and Word Pictures. Instantly my mind was filled with word pictures, which I started scribbling on my notes for Michael. Most of them are a bit hard to convey in straight text, but examples would be gegs (scrambled eggs) or RETUrns (diminishing returns). Then it turned out that the teacher was really talking about Analogies (‘When you don’t fix the dishwasher when I ask, it makes me feel like we’re not on the same team’) instead of Word Pictures. Oh, well.
Monday, November 08, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment