Tuesday, November 09, 2004

On the design defects inherent in capes

Sunday night our church had a special evening service at the end of our missions emphasis week. Heather Mercer (missionary to Afghanistan captured by the Taliban) gave her testimony, and then we had an international food bazaar to honour our missionaries. Marcela was very excited about doing a table for Costa Rica, and spent all day Saturday baking in preparation. She enlisted Amanda and me to help serve, and so we slipped out of the service early and served tamales, pineapple empanadas, and papaya picadillo. Very yummy food! Michael, meanwhile, browsed the bazaar and brought me back baklava, pita, and feta cheese, German chocolate cheesecake and sausage, Jamaican jerk chicken, and indian rice and garbanzo beans. So I got the best of both worlds: the satisfaction of helping out combined with the opportunity not to miss out on a thing! Husbands make such wonderful butlers.

Last night we went downtown to meet some friends for dinner and a movie: The Incredibles. If I still lived in Virginia, I'm sure I would have gotten a full review from the Hall kids. As we sat down, Amanda groaned, 'Oh, no! Who put Ron in the middle?' He kept up an entertaining commentary through the previews, but no comment was necessary for the duration of the movie: we were all laughing hard enough already. Quite the evening of jollification and merriment.

3 comments:

the Joneses said...

I can't wait to see The Incredibles, mostly because it's Pixar so it has to be good! But Darren's out of town again this weekend, so I'll have to wait till next weekend. Probably. I mean, I wouldn't ever consider getting a babysitter and going to the movie by myself. Of course not. -- SJ

Anonymous said...

Oh, come now, didn't Darren go out to watch Spiderman or something when he was away at a long and boring conference once? So of course you can strike out on your own! Go for it, girlfriend! Live dangerously! Mm, and if I lived locally, I'd offer to babysit your kids for you. Alas.

~Rose

Anonymous said...

We saw it the very first showing on opening day!! Mr. Hall took the morning off so the whole family could go to see "The Incredibles". And yes, all Hall kids could give you a dynamite commentary on the movie!! Awesome! Alas, Earl and I could only give comments on half the movie each as Logan lost interest after the credits. We compare notes and have the whole movie figured out though. We debated going back just the two of us but don't really want to use our time that way seeing as the kids have it memorized and we WILL be buying this one once it is released. Even Courtney and Ryan LOVED it!!! :)