Miss Manners has such a delightful way of putting things:
'[B]logs have served as an outlet for those unable to book their confessions on television. Whatever this does for the general tone of society, etiquette has no rule against people spreading unflattering gossip about themselves.'
The article also berates those using blogs to betray confidences of others, something I try to avoid doing by referencing friends anonymously, as in the following anecdote:
Once, I decided to call a friend. She answered the phone with a rather suggestive greeting, which took me so much by surprise that I could only manage a feeble 'Who, me?' Obviously she was expecting the call to be from her husband, and it is hard to say which of us was more thrown for a loop. We both got a hearty laugh from it, and I still feel inclined to giggle whenever I think of it.
Note: this trick doesn't work so well when trying to relate an anecdote about one's spouse. That kind of anonymity is a little harder to pull off. I suppose one could try the old third-person dodge, a la Once I had a friend who was so delighted to find what appeared to be a great sale on toilet tissue that she stocked up and bought dozens of rolls, only to find that it was of such cheap quality that her husband insisted it was not allowed in the house, and she ended up giving it all away to her family on their next visit, because her five little brothers didn't care about such niceties as double-ply toilet tissue. Ha! How's that for subterfuge and discretion??
Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yes, I'm sure we all have an endless supply of friends who have five little brothers....This enhances the anonymity of the anecdote. rlr
Yeah, still giggling about the phone remark, too. I'm terribly relieved it was you who was on the other end.
Clearly there are three things to consider here.
1. Everyone needs a "friend" with five little brothers, thereby making anonimity valid no matter the anecdote.
2. This "friend" needs to understand that toilet paper should never be exfoliating regardless the savings.
3. The other "friend" needs caller ID.
Amen to JRP's remarks. Especially #2.
--DJ
Post a Comment