Monday, December 04, 2006

Overheard during the Scrabble game

'Of ag, ig, and og, which do you think is the most likely to be a real word?'

'Oy vey! I don't have many options. Oy vey, I'll do my best.' Plays oy.
'Is that a real American word?'
'Oy vey! People use it all the time!'

'So at which point do acronyms pass into commonly accepted vernacular? I mean, nobody capitalises laser anymore.'
'Well, at the very least, it doesn't count if people still say the letters indivudually.'
'So SUV doesn't count.'
'Uhhhh...no.'

3 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

Man, you guys are some relaxed Scrabble players. My brother Mark is the worst for making people stick to the rules about no foreign languages, etc. I don't think he would have allowed oy. How many points did it get you?

Rose said...

Well, Michael is a very scrupulous player usually, but we were relaxing the rules because Oma was playing and we didn't have the heart to tell her that some of her words probably didn't qualify. Usually Michael won't even allow discussion about a word's validity beforehand - the bluffing element is part of the game. But this time he let it stand, and I got a lot of points because the Y went on a triple word score and the O finished off another word. We had to stop playing Scrabble with just each other because we got too competitive.

Janice Phillips said...

lol...oh my! A Marine and his wife being too competitive? Who'd have thunk? ;-) We actually have to agree to a set number of games or else the uber competitive members of my family (of which I do not even rank) will be playing all night! If I ever come visit you guys we must play.