Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Arms and the woman

Some time ago my family gave me the gift of several video productions from the PHC drama team. There was The Importance of Being Earnest, which I had seen live and which I much enjoyed showing to Michael; there was Our Town, which I had also seen live, which I had been impressed with, but which I have not watched with Michael yet because it is such a decidedly non-upbeat play and I just haven't wanted to make myself feel in that blue of a mood recently ('Most people manage to crawl into the grave married'); and there was Arms and the Man, which I have never read and which I know nothing about.

On Sunday I felt distinctly uncultured and wanted to watch a play to make up for it. Two minutes into the first scene Michael exclaimed, 'Hey, that's Janice!' Sure enough, the lady of the house was none other than JRP herself, turning in a remarkable and impressive performance with inimitable wit and priceless expressions. Well done, Janice, and well worth watching!

2 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe you saw that! Did you watch the credits? The video didn't half do it justice and it was torture trying to stay in character with Mr. Hall sitting in the front row, less than six feet from me at times, laughing out loud! It was a total blast but I doubt it held a candle to Fiddler, not to mention I'd never done anything like that in my life. Good times and a good experience, to be sure.

Rose said...

I loved it! Because I was so unfamiliar with the play, it took me a while to get into things, and I didn't catch on to the sense of humour until well into the thing, but it was so much fun to watch the characters interact that I didn't pay much attention to the dialogue early on anyhow. Very different production from Fiddler, but I was extremely impressed with what was pulled off within the parameters of what you had to work with. Oh, and Michael recognised Jonathan N.'s costume right away. 'That's a Marine dress blue uniform with the pockets removed!' he cried as soon as the bruised and battered soldier made his appearance, and afterwards we got out his uniform and looked it over for comparison. Apparently the one in the play was simply stripped of all rank insignia and pockets. Michael's, of course, is much grander. Even if he doesn't have two hundred horses. =)