Michael dressed up in full Marine uniform this Fourth of July, which fell on a Sunday this year. I felt SO proud of him as I glided to church on his arm, very conscious of the gleaming brass buttons on his jacket and the crisp white stripes of the trousers and all the emblems on his chest. I even told him, 'This is better than a dream come true! For all my hopes and aspirations to marry an MIU, I never really expected it would ever happen!' But it was terribly grand to stand next to him in the service and sing all those patriotic songs. During the welcome the pastor asked everyone who had ever been in the service to stand so we could applaud them. Michael stood, of course. Then after the applause had died down, Brother Gearl added, 'And could I ask that young Marine in full uniform to stand up? We're proud that he's proud of his uniform and of his country!' And so Michael stood up again, erect and with an impeccable poker face, to receive a standing ovation from the crowd. As Benjamin told him later, 'I thought it might be you when Brother Gearl first started speaking, and when I saw you standing I thought, I bet he's wishing he hadn't worn that about now!' Which, as I pointed out to Michael, was not surprising, as the mention of a 'young' Marine might have thrown anyone off.
But it WAS so grand to be escorted by my handsome Marine on the Fourth of July!
It was just about two years ago, in late July, as I stood outside the gate at Buckingham Palace and watched the changing of the guard, that I thought to myself, 'Yes, this is all well and good, and grand enough in its way, but I'll take a US Marine playing Yankee Doodle any day!' Lo and behold, less than a month later, I met Michael.
So then after church we went over to a luau hosted by Monica, around the pool, and that was very fun. We went swimming for the first time this year, and amazingly enough did not end up getting sunburnt. We ate Monica's Surprisingly Good Potato Salad and played a very fun parlour game, which I won, and ate yet more. Then we headed back to the church for the 'cookout' (actually it was a box lunch containing hamburgers, etc.) and concert, and sat on the grass with Todd and Marcela and Benjamin and Amanda, eating watermelon. Back home for fireworks, which we watched from the comfort and peace of our own front lawn.
Definitely the best Fourth of July yet for me!
Tuesday, July 06, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, what a score, to marry an MIU. When did we ever foresee fortune like that? Can you overpower him by brute strength and hold him at his own swordpoint? Just a hypothetical question... not wanting to bring up old disagreements over old stories or anything...
(I don't have an MIU, but I've got a guy who keeps kids and cleans the house while I'm away for an entire weekend, so I tot my own score pretty high.)
SJ
Post a Comment