Thursday, October 21, 2004

Sox on Fox

I went to sleep last night after the first inning. (We ate supper in front of the TV while we watched the first game, the Astros v. the Cardinals, and Michael was actually cheering the Astros, even though they beat the Braves not one month ago.) But there seemed no point to staying up for the second game. I even told Michael, ‘You KNOW the Yankees are going to win! They ALWAYS win! And why is it always the Yankees v. the Red Sox? Why don’t they ever play any other teams besides each other?’ ‘Of course they play other teams, silly!’ Michael laughed, and proceeded to list several ‘famous’ games wherein they faced other opponents besides each other. But aside from last year’s World series (Yankees v. Marlins), which I actually watched on TV, I had never heard of any such matches. With no roots in either state, I had no personal interest in which team won, although I had sympathy for the Red Sox, but I figured it was a foregone conclusion. I was therefore very much surprised to find out, post hoc, that the Red Sox had pulled it off after all. Although this is apparently not such an earth-shattering thing as I thought it was last night, when I assumed that all the ‘1918’ signs meant that the Sox had not been to a World Series since that time, when in fact it was the last time they won.

No comments: