Saturday, August 06, 2005

This day in history

Three years ago today was the day of Elena's baby shower. I went to PHC, played with her dollhouse, and afterwards begged myself off on Courtney (or she begged me to come, I forget which) and we slipped in to the premiere showing of LOTR, the private screening to which Ryan had been counting down for I don't know how many weeks. It was the most hilarious fun in the world to stay up late and watch Fellowship with a roomful of teenage guys, who made the movie all the more funny by their goofy commentary. When the avalanche falls on the Company at Caradhras: 'Hate it when that happens.' When the orcs come charging out of the woods at the end with all that weird face paint: 'Freedom!!!' When Boromir dies and Aragorn makes that strange gesture over his body that looks like he's crossing himself but left off the cross bar: 'Ah, he's Catholic.' Absolutely priceless, and utterly worth losing sleep over.

I wouldn't mention it and probably wouldn't even remember it except that, the next morning, I was questioning my prudence in having gone for the adventure, as I dragged myself reluctantly out of bed and faced the prospect of flying down to Atlanta for the GA conference. It's not good to be burning the midnight oil on the front end of a conference, and I regretted putting anything less than my best foot forward. However, the weekend obviously ended on a high enough note to make all second-guessing moot. The obvious moral is that people should watch LOTR more often.

No comments: