I love having two little girls. It is just what I wanted. Jane couldn't be cuter, and Ella couldn't be a more docile, sweet-tempered, bright-eyed little baby.
Things are evening out nicely after a full but wonderful first week. Michael was able to take last week off work, and it was so nice to have him here as we adjusted to life with a new baby again. It wasn't quite as blissful, idyllic, and restful a time as I had hoped due to troublesome things like pediatrician's visits that ran two hours late (because of our early discharge we had to take Ella in the next day for her PKU) and passport agencies that required paperwork we did not have, but all was well in the end. We had a pleasant weekend with my parents visiting, and I was SO glad that they could pay Jane the attention she merits. We even went to a Super Bowl party last night, and it was grand to get out and about and show my precious baby off. I love Super Bowl parties, because they require so little of me; I don't care enough about the game to pay attention to it, freeing me to socialise with others similarly inclined, and there's always plenty of good food to go around.
A few remarks follow, because I likely won't have time to work them into individual posts.
On the topic of sleep, I quote Tommy Hambledon's request to the hotel clerk after half a night of unexpected visitors and interruptions: 'I am going to my room now, and on no account disturb me. If that part of the hotel in which my room is located should catch fire, then you may wake me, but not otherwise.'
On the topic of names: Do not fear. We have absolutely no intention of naming a daughter of ours Lydia, ever.
On the topic of bouncing back: Being up and about is a good thing! If you see a new mother out and about, you should compliment her (if she looks nice) and praise her beautiful child, not scold her for choosing not to remain in confinement for six weeks. Note to well-meaning ladies of a certain age: The days when you stay in the hospital for two weeks are long gone. (Hospitals don't pamper young mothers they way they used to, anyway. Other than as a means to get free food, it's not so fabulous being in the hospital, what with nurses coming in to check your blood pressure every two hours and whatnot.) It is not dangerous to take a young baby out into society, as long as you are careful about who touches/breathes on her. It may have been more risky when all babies were fed formula, but if a baby is nursed, she will have her mother's immune system to defend her. (Try hacking into MY immune system when my baby's health is at stake!)
On the topic of weightlessness: I LOVE being able to sleep on my back, front, and roll over without flopping an immense belly around! I LOVE the sensation of moon gravity! I LOVE being able to squeeze past people in tight spaces again! But WHERE did this immense appetite come from? Ella doesn't weigh substantially more than she did a week and a half ago, after all!
Monday, February 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My MIL did the same thing you did in making an early hospital escape! I learned through my own experience that the hospital is the LAST place I EVER want to be when trying to recover. I loathe night nurses, esp. I will always make a point to go in to the hospital at the last possible SECOND and will leave at the earliest possible second. From this time forth forever more.
Post a Comment